Friday, April 6, 2012

Growing Culinary Herbs In Containers Review!

I am so excited to tell you about the great ebook that I was given the opportunity to review!  If you are a gardener or if you are someone who enjoys fresh herbs when they cook this is a great book for you.  I know that now that I have read it I will be attempting to find a place that is a "cat free" zone in my home to start growing some of my own!  I have always preferred fresh herbs when I am cooking if I can afford to buy them and keep them fresh in my home.  Unfortunately I don't cook as much as I should.  I am hoping to start again.

A little about "Gardening with Little Miss Greenfingers: Growing Culinary Herbs in Containers" it is written by Anja Koch who grew up and finished school in Germany after which she began an apprenticeship.  After finishing all of that up she went back to school for landscape design then in '97 she moved to Ireland where she started her own winning garden center and nursery!  This woman has done a lot and she knows what she is talking about!

This book is designed for people who haven't grown herbs before.  What I love about it is that she breaks everything down making sure you know which plants need certain types of soil, fertilization, water, and sunlight so you know where and in what to plant each different herb in.  

This book focuses on 17 main herbs that are most commonly used in the home and tells you everything that you need to know about them!  The break down in the Table of Contents and the actual book is simple and flows really well.

She discusses where to grow your herbs, the stuff you need for container herb gardening, growing herbs from seeds, culinary herbs suitable for growing: both perennials and annuals, how to look after your herbs, dealing with pests and disease, as well as harvesting and preserving herbs.

After reading this book I made notes on which herbs I use the most and which ones I would like to grow so that I can remember when I go to plant them.  everything that she mentions is needed can easily be found at local nursery's and gardening shops as well as through many vendors online.  She does give examples of other resources that can be useful including places to find the things that are needed to start your Herb Garden.

Out of the 17 different herbs I picked out 9 that I want to begin growing.  Two of the herbs are annuals: Basil and Cilantro.  The other 7 are perennials that will need to be replanted: Bay Leaf Tree, Chives, Lemon Balm, Oregano, Mint, Rosemary, and Thyme.

Overall I would have to say that this book gets 5 STARS from me. The reasoning for this is because it is easy to read while explaining everything.  It is also aesthetically pleasing while the whole layout is organized and flows smoothly from topic to topic.

For more information on this book about growing culinary herbs you can check out her website.  You can also purchase her book on Amazon for the Kindle.



I received one or more of the products mentioned above for free using Tomoson.com. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...